I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Suck It, Jesus

So says Kathy Griffin upon receiving an Emmy award (emphasis mine):
The My Life on the D List star took home a creative arts Emmy on Saturday for best reality program.

“A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this. He had nothing to do with this,” Griffin said in her acceptance speech. “Suck it, Jesus. This award is my God now.”

Ah, celebutards. So original and creative, aren't they? "Artists" lately define good art as anything that offends the mainstream, so taking cheap shots at Christianity is an easy choice. We see it all the time -- urine laced crucifixes, a dung-covered Mary, a naked chocolate Jesus, so on and so forth.

Just out of curiosity: what do you think the backlash will be for this remark? Will outraged Christians write letters calling for Kathy Griffin's head? Will we see protests and rioting from those enraged in the name of Christ? Will members of her show step forward to make clear that they don't support her remarks, as they surely would had she insulted a "protected" minority?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Let's just pretend for a second. Let's pretend we removed the name "Jesus" from her lovely little speech and let's insert the name "Mohammad".

Now let's imagine what the response would be. Griffin would be chastised as a bigot. CAIR would be calling for public apologies and tolerance seminars, and I'm sure we'd see Muslims rioting and calling for much more than a public apology.

But, why go for something like that? It's so much easier to take a pot shot at Christians. They won't fight back.

Now, let me just make one thing clear. I don't believe in someone being censored just because their point of view may be offensive. I do, however, believe in common sense and respect for others. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should.

It's too bad Kathy Griffin can't understand that simple concept, and can so easily disrespect the faith of millions.

9 comments:

Joe said...

Count me as one of those who has never found Kathy Griffin remotely funny. How she won an Emmy is beyond me.

Unknown said...

I was actually shocked most when I first saw the title of your blog post in Google Reader. A look at Wikipedia shows that she is a former Catholic turned militant atheist. She's on Bravo, which is like Logo-lite, right? I canceled my cable along time ago. Too much of it was becoming like husks for swine.

Anyhow, she's rolling with her God-hating homies on the sodomy channel. I hope she enjoys it while it lasts, because it won't be so funny when she finds out about what waits her at the end of the really big show. She's going to kneel before Him. I'm going to pray for her.

Confirmed on her web site, by the way.

Anonymous said...

As a Christian, I am more saddened for her, rather then angry at her. She will pay a price for that remark. But it won't be Christians who administer that payment.

Anonymous said...

I'm more repulsed by Reality TV in general than her cliched Jesus slam. (How many Hollywood types still refer to God at these things.)

I read about her show. Her dad was dying, so naturally she worked it into the storyline. At one point she puts him on her cell's speakerphone so the camera can catch the drama of this most intimate moment. From the ugly plastic surgery, to her ugly exploitation of her dad's plight...she's just an ugly person.

Anonymous said...

I can't decide if I'm going to go burn some cars or go eat dinner (dinner, no contest).

Add me to the list of people who's never found her funny. In fact, I'm going to forget about her, again, when I hit the 'publish' button.

Anonymous said...

Gredd

You could roast weinners and marshmallows while you burn a car. That way you could do both!

Anonymous said...

Ms. Griffin's whole comedy routine is based on her crasness so its no suprise that she said this. Of course dont worry about protests the people that didnt appreciate her comment allready boycott that network because because gay people have lead roles in numerous television shows.

Anonymous said...

Classy...real classy.

Anonymous said...

I don't think she was out to offend, but moreso poke fun at the uniquely American idea that you must thank Jesus whenever you have a microphone for any achievement you have.

Does it really contribute to one's faith to thank Jesus for a touchdown? A high school football victory? To thank him for your stock price doubling? It is equally as silly to thank Jesus for an Emmy award -- and her comment makes light of this.

I think this was just a bit of humor, but because she has proclaimed herself as an athiest and she mentioned the word Jesus, everyone assumed it was a slight against Christianity and started taking offense before their brain could start to process what she was trying to say.

Although I do think the "Suck it Jesus" part is a bit over the top...