I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Welcome to Tennessee, Michelle, a state where we're proud of our country.

Awesome:



I'm proud of my country every time I see the flag or hear the National Anthem. I'm proud of my country every time I read about how much we've fought and sacrificed in the last century alone to defend freedom. I'm proud of my country every time I remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, you can come to America and build a better life for yourself, as long as you're willing to work hard enough. I'm proud of my country every time I visit the Duval County Veteran's Memorial Wall, where I cannot keep the grief and love I feel for her from running down my cheeks, thanks to the unbelievable sacrifice millions of American soldiers, sailors, and airmen have made for her and for freedom.

Simply put, there is not a single day that goes by when I'm not proud of my country. I love her, and I would fight for her until my dying breath. America has given so much. To say I feel pride for her is an unbelievable understatement, but it's as true today as ever.

Michelle Obama may not be able to understand why it is that so many Americans are proud of their country, and are willing to fight for her, and sacrifice for her. But it's one that's crystal clear to me, and to these Tennessee citizens, and millions of Americans everywhere.

Hat Tip: Hot Air

4 comments:

Baz said...

People keep talking about this, and frankly I don't get what people are so upset about.

I'm proud of my son, but that general feeling has more to do with me than it does him.

However, as he gets older, he's going to do some remarkable or special things, things I may think "wow, I didn't know he had it in him" that will make me proud of him. That's all about him exceeding my expectations.

So I think there's two different aspects to pride, and Michelle was referring to the second. She's saying "wow, America, I didn't think you had it in you to vote for a black Presidential candidate and make him viable."

What's the big deal with that?

Sassy Poker said...

Baz, the final comment is your post is overtly racist. She didn't think that America had it in them to vote for a black president and make him viable. The inference there is that "Racist white America would never vote for my husband"
I won't vote for Mr. Obama, not because he's black, it's because he has not verbalized any of his policies.

Deuce Geary said...

It would have been a better video if the makers had not edited out the "really" before "proud." Not that I think it makes a difference in the significance of her remarks, but it opens the film makers up (legitimately) to a charge of dishonesty.

Folks, the things liberals are saying today are outrageous enough on their own. We don't need to embellish them to make them look like idiots.

Baz said...

Overtly racist? You gotta be kidding.

Is it overtly racist to observe that the vast majority of our civic leaders are white men (in stark disproportion to the population that they represent)?

Is it overtly racist to be pleasantly surprised by a lack of racism?

A large percentage of WV voters in exit polling (I forget the actual number, in the 25-35% range) said that race was factor in their decision.

Sean Hannity refuses to disavow his relationship to a vocal white supremacist. So I'm really disgusted by the phony indignation on Fox news any time someone suggests that there are still racist whites in America.

I've heard a shocking number of racist jokes in the past few months, usually involving the word "c*on" and saw a local Obama campaign office vandalized with racial slurs.

I went to a 50% African-American University that had the audacity to have a "white student union."

I've also been the minority and have seen firsthand how it colors relationships with the majority group.

Don't try to lecture me on racism, because I've watched it for years.