I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Friday, October 19, 2007

Breaking News: Mel Martinez resigns

Mel Martinez has announced that he is stepping down as the RNC Chair.
Mel Martinez, the public face of the Republican National Committee as its general chairman, announced Friday he was stepping down from his post after serving only 10 months.

"I believe that our future as a party and nation is bright and I have every intention of continuing to fight for our president, our party and our candidates," the Florida senator said in a statement.

His resignation came months earlier than anticipated. Martinez wasn't expected to step down until a Republican presidential nominee was selected, and the earliest that could occur is February.

The RNC said Martinez' job would not be filled.

Martinez said he was relinquishing the job to spend more time focusing on his constituents and because the RNC had achieved the objective he set when he assumed the job in January.

"It was my goal as general chairman to lead the party as it established the structure and raised the resources necessary to support our presidential candidate and ensure Republican victories next November. I believe we have accomplished those goals," Martinez said.

Republicans are cheering across the nation.

1 comments:

Scott Jacobs said...

No lie. I couldn't stand this guy.

*I* would have done a better job.

Hell, how do I get my name on the short list FOR that job?