I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Friday, October 26, 2007

John Rich thinks for himself

Anyone listen to country music?

John Rich of country duo Big & Rich can, shockingly enough, think for himself, it seems. Rather than toe the Hollywood line about politics and culture, Rich has come out in support of Fred Thompson and against gay marriage in a new interview with The Tennessean.
John Rich left no doubt on where he stands after Wednesday's appearance on The Steve Gill Radio Show, which now features him as a regular commentator.

John is an avid supportive of Fred Thompson's presidential bid because he's a conservative who agrees with Fred's voting record.

"Big & Rich music is so out of the box and so wild and unrestrained," John tells me. "They probably just make assumptions that you're that way with everything. One reason why we are able to be so untethered in country music is because we have a really strong base and strong beliefs and core values."

The pro-lifer is against gay marriage.

"I think if you legalize that, you've got to legalize some other things that are pretty unsavory," he says. "You can call me a radical, but how can you tell an aunt that she can't marry her nephew if they are really in love and sharing the bills? How can you tell them they can't get married, but something else that's unnatural can happen?"

He spoke to his partner, Big Kenny, before coming out publicly for Fred.

"It's actually a risky thing for an entertainer to get into politics, but I'd rather take a chance on alienating some fans than sit by idly and watch Hillary Clinton go trotting into the White House."

Predictably, there's already been a backlash, prompting Rich to clarify his position.
My earlier comments on same-sex marriage don’t reflect my full views on the broader issues regarding tolerance and the treatment of gays and lesbians in our society. I apologize for that and wish to state clearly my views. I oppose same-sex marriage because my father and minister brought me up to believe that marriage is an institution for the union of a man and a woman. However, I also believe that intolerance, bigotry and hatred are wrong. People should be judged based on their merits, not on their sexual orientation. We are all children of God and should be valued and respected.

Hearing a celebrity think and speak for themselves, rather than keep to the mandatory liberal talking points, is so refreshing. It's even more surprising to hear about the rare conservative celebrities out there.

I encourage all of you to do your best to show your support for Big & Rich.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Bravo to John Rich for helping to spread hate and intolerance and encouraging the oppression and unfair legal restriction of American citizens based on his personal religious beliefs!

none said...

He just said that he didn't support hate and bigotry.

The government shouldn't be involved with the institution of marriage no matter who is involved.

Anonymous said...

lk,

And your comments demonstrate tolerance, how?

Anonymous said...

hammer- he said it, but his actions show otherwise. Just because somebody says something, it does not mean that it's true. Also, marriage is a legal institution. That is the whole issue.

gothguy- I was not trying to demonstrate my tolerance with my comments. I am also not a celebrity with fans and followers who will take my public views to heart because they like my music. I do, however, live every day tolerating religions, lifestyles, and romantic relationships that do not reflect my life or taste without condemning them or attempting in any way to infringe upon their right to be as they are. For example, I think "goth" is ridiculous and juvenile--not to mention out of style--but I don't say a thing.

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe said...

[Minor edits]

I would like to see the government get out of the "marriage" business. Create civil unions for anyone who choses to enter such a contractual relationship. This is essentially how much of the world does it.

I oppose gay marriage because the word "marriage" means something very specific and has meant that for thousands of years. (No, it didn't always mean a relationship between one man and one woman, but it did always mean a relationship between the opposite sexes.)

Having said that, if citizens in our democratic system vote to allow members of the same sex to marry, I will accept that (I may even vote for it, despite my semantic opposition!) I do, however, bristle at the use of the courts to force this issue and of being called a bigot. I don't think I'm alone--the gay and lesbian movement all too often act in ways detrimental to their efforts.

Anonymous said...

Its refreshing in this day and time for people to express their belief & religion. I'm tired of everyone trying to cover up what they truely believe just to be in the flow with everyone else. Go John!