I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Friday, August 24, 2007

Lindsay's going to jail; Nicole's already out

Lindsay Lohan copped a plea deal (surprise, surprise) that will mean she has to serve a minimum of four days in prison:
Lindsay Lohan plead guilty to the nine misdemeanor charges - including two DUIs - against her on Wednesday.

The actresses’ high-powered attorney was able to score a deal with the LA District Attorney that was pretty painless.

By law, because Lohan plead no contest to two counts of DUI, she becomes a second offender with two DUIs and like Nicole Richie must serve a minimum of four days in jail.

The judge just said Lindsay will serve 36 months probation and attend an alcohol education program for 18 months for the first DUI.

As for the second DUI plea, she’s ordered to serve 48 hours in jail. She must serve 24 hours by January 18th. Lohan had already served time when she was arrested and that will count towards her sentence.

Lindsay must also perform 10 days of community service and she was ordered “not to associate with people with controlled substances.”

Lohan was not in court today. She’s still on vacation in rehab in Utah.

On January 18th, Lindsay must show the court that she’s successfully completed rehab.

All in all, the sweetness of celebrity justice scored Lindsay the MINIMUM possible sentence mandated by the law for a two time DUI offender in California, that’s four days in jail.

She definitely got off lucky. Had the judge charged her with felonies, rather than misdemeanors, she would be looking at the possibility of years in prison. Celebrity justice, perhaps? She's being smart, too -- doing everything she needs to do in order to clean up her image. She released the following statement:
“It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs. Recently, I relapsed and did things for which I am ashamed. I broke the law, and today I took responsibility by pleading guilty to the charges in my case. No matter what I said when I was under the influence on the day I was arrested, I am not blaming anyone else for my conduct other than myself. I thank God I did not injure others. I easily could have. I very much want to be healthy and gain control of my life and career and have asked for medical help in doing so. I am taking these steps to improve my life. Luckily, I am not alone in my daily struggle and I know that people like me have succeeded. Maybe with time it will become easier. I hope so.”

She's owning up. Pleading guilty. Going to rehab. Submitting herself to prison. Admitting she has a problem. I sincerely hope that she means all that she says, because once upon a time, Lindsay Lohan was a sweet, talented girl with a very bright future in front of her, and if she is serious about taking back control of her life, she could still have a very bright future in front of her. Unfortunately, many Hollyweird types only say and do these things for PR measures, so they can make their image all squeaky-clean again without actually changing anything (hello, Paris Hilton). Lindsay seems genuine, and I pray that she is able to find health and happiness again.

Nicole Richie, on the other hand, checked into jail and served a whopping 82 minutes before being released due to overcrowding.

Must be nice to be rich and famous.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four days? I hope she doesn't become institutionalized like that guy in the Shawshank Redemption!