I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Friday, March 7, 2008

McCain channels Reagan

"We're Americans, and we'll never surrender -- they will!"



I do not agree with all of John McCain's policies. There's a lot of things about him that make me worry, albeit not nearly as many as the number I can find looking at Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton. However, in the ad, McCain remarks:
I know who I am, and what I want to do, because I don't seek the office out of a sense of entitlement. I owe America more than she has ever owed me... I've been an imperfect servant of my country for many years. I've never lived a day, in good times or bad, that I haven't been proud -- proud -- of the privilege.

Can you imagine anything remotely similar to that coming out of the mouths of Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama?! I think McCain was being sincere and honest about being an imperfect servant who owes America more than she owes him. While I do doubt his decisions sometimes, I've never doubted the love and pride he feels for his country -- it's overwhelmingly obvious, and God knows he sacrificed enough for her -- and when asked about that service, he says that he "failed".

Compare that to Barack "our country is mean" Obama, who regularly extolls how horrible it is and how much we need change, or Hillary "America owes me the presidency" Clinton, who positively reeks of an attitude filled with entitlement.

McCain's not a perfect candidate, and God knows he's no Ronald Reagan. But he's far to the right of our other two choices, and it's obvious he's trying to channel the conservative idol in this ad. He's still no Reagan, but in this ad, he plays the part well. It's his best campaign ad yet.

Thoughts?

0 comments: