I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Today is Flag Day, so fly them proudly

Although I may not be able to, as Wal-Mart and Walgreens seem to have a ban on American flags.

It seems some people are unfamiliar with Flag Day, so to begin with, here is a nice summation of the holiday from Holiday Insights.com:

When : June 14th

Flag Day is a day for all Americans to celebrate and show respect for our flag, it's designers, and makers. Our flag is representative of our independence and our unity as a nation... one nation, under God, indivisible. Our flag has a proud and glorious history. It was at the lead of every battle fought by Americans. Many people have died protecting it. It even stands proudly on the surface of the moon.

As Americans, we have every right to be proud of our culture, our nation, and our flag. So raise the flag today and every day with pride!


So, when I got out of my screening of Fantastic Four (review to come later) at approximately 3:30 in the morning, I figured I'd stop by Wal-Mart and get a flag.

Yeah, I came home empty-handed. This is me not happy.

I walked around that store no less than three times. I looked in every single department. No flags.

So, on the way home, I passed a 24-hour Walgreens. Remembering how, around seemingly every holiday, Walgreens has practically their entire store filled with decorations and other celebratory items, I thought, "Hey, they'll have a flag, what with the 4th being right around the corner." Nope. Wrong again.

What strikes me as interesting is how both Walgreens and Wal-Mart, as I said, fill their stores to celebrate other holidays. New Years? Check. Halloween? Check. "Winter Holiday Season"? Check. But strangely enough, there was nothing in either of these two stores to celebrate the upcoming 4th of July holiday. Is this indicative of all Wal-Marts and Walgreens? No, but it is strange to say the least.

Why is it difficult to find an American flag... in America? It really shouldn't be.

I'll continue the search tomorrow, and in the meantime, make sure you fly your flags proudly. If I ever find one, I will be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flying it proudly, Happy Flag Day!

Anonymous said...

Stop by just about any hardware store to buy an American flag.

COPioneer said...

Almost every day is Flag day for me. My dad taught me well, and well he should. He was at Gold Beach on D-Day. We seem to be losing the influence of our WWII vets in this greatest country on God's green earth.

Happy Flag day. I noticed my WalMart had flags a few weeks ago, because I was thinking of getting a new one.

Anonymous said...

Bought a brand new one for the occasion. Happy Flag day.

Pissant

Anonymous said...

Michael's has some nice Independence Day decorations, although I'm not sure if they have just a regular large flag.

Anonymous said...

I got mine at Orchard Supply and it was MADE IN AMERICA. I had to pay $30.00 instead of the $4.99 for a made in China flag but well worth it. It will last, well made!

Anonymous said...

I can no longer, in good conscience, fly this flag. America has ceased to be "the good guy." I will work to return this country to it's proud heritage and when that day comes, I will proudly fly the flag again. Until then, I will refrain from doing so.